Laser hair removal is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed all over the world for permanent reduction of body hair. Lasers act by causing localized and selective damage to melanin pigment within the hair follicle, while not heating the rest of the skin. Currently used lasers for hair removal include the Pulsed diode laser, Nd:YAG laser and the IPL or intense pulsed light laser.
The latest is award-winning Soprano ICE which offers breakthrough hair removal technology by incorporating multiple laser wavelengths and technologies including 810 Diode and Alex 755 wavelengths. It uses a solid-state laser based on an Alexandrite wavelength, allowing for even better energy absorption by the melanin chromophore. Soprano ICE is the latest innovation, is US FDA approved and has recently been launched by ALMA lasers. Additional cooling in this technology (from where it derives its name ICE) makes treatment virtually painless.
It is suited for all skin types (specifically Indian skin) and is effective for both coarse and fine (thin) hair. Another unique advantage with this laser is that it also reduces the pigmentation in the treated area.
Always at the forefront, Aura Skin Institute yet again remains the pioneer in bringing this latest technology at Chandigarh as it introduces Soprano ICE to its Indian clients for the first time in the country.
Advantages with Soprano ICE
- Faster treatment times. The Soprano ICE can operate at 10 hertz per second, creating one of the fastest treatment times in the world. It is continuous and can cover large body areas in very short span of time.
- Additional cooling to minimize patient discomfort. Its advanced cooling technology cools the skin during treatment for longer periods of time, thus there is no risk of burns on the skin. Contact Cooling increases patient comfort, making treatments more enjoyable than ever before.
- Virtually painless treatment without the use of anesthesia or numbing gels. No pre-treatment times required to apply numbing agents or local anesthetic agents. So no jeopardizing with your comfort when you come for hair removal laser.
- Specially designed Facial tip. For removal of unwanted hair from hard to reach areas like ear lobes, nostrils and glabella. It is also extremely useful in areas where you need more precision like eyebrow and beard shaping.
- SHR and In-Motion™ technology produces extremely effective results. Its 4th generation Super Hair Removal (SHR) laser which uses Advanced Fluorescent Technology (AFT) incorporates all the wavelengths which are effectively absorbed by melanin (780nm - 900nm); while other lasers use only single wavelength. It is very safe to be used on delicate areas like face, arm-pits and bikini area. Also its latest in-Motion™ technology has completely revolutionized the process of hair removal as it ensures that it works continuously and there are no skipped areas.
Laser Hair Reduction Procedure
Waxing, bleaching or threading should be avoided prior to laser hair removal as hair is the target. Don’t shave the area atleast 48 hours prior to laser treatment. The hair above the skin to be treated is trimmed away just before the procedure. You will be asked to wear dark glasses to protect your eyes from the laser light. Next, a cold gel is spread over the treatment area. The laser handpiece is applied to your skin and pulses of light begin destroying your unwanted hair roots. Apply cool packs or wet compresses after the procedure, followed by a good SPF sunscreen. Harsh rubbing of treated area, hot and sauna baths should be avoided for 24 hrs; and no sun exposure for atleast one week.
Permanent Hair Reduction Vs Permanent Hair Removal
Though many use these terms interchangeably, but "Permanent hair removal" is a misnomer. This is due to the fact that one achieves upto 80-90% hair reduction after the laser treatments and few patients may experience some regrowth of hair even after their last treatment. This means that although laser treatments will permanently reduce the total number of body hair; they will not result in a permanent removal of all hair. That is why Hair removal lasers approved by US FDA are for "permanent hair reduction" and not removal.
Side Effects of Laser Hair Reduction
The modern lasers (especially SHR and diode lasers) are absolutely safe and painless. However, some minor side effects may occur after laser hair removal treatments in the form of itching, redness, and swelling around the treatment area. These side effects are usually self-limiting and don’t need any medication.
But a word of caution - before you chose any laser treatment for your unwanted hair, you must consult a Dermatologist. A detailed medical history followed by a clinical examination is a must so as to first ascertain the cause of unwanted hair growth. It is very important to rule out any underlying systemic condition or hormonal aberrations before starting the treatment.
How much does it cost in India?
Laser hair reduction treatment is relatively expensive when compared to traditional hair removal methods (like waxing, bleaching or threading). The popularity of Laser hair removal is because of its speed and efficacy, which depends upon the skill of the laser operator and availability of latest laser technology. The actual cost varies depending upon body part and the size of the area to be treated. Since usually one needs 6-8 treatment sessions, it is always better to go for packages rather than paying per session.
Laser Hair Reduction FAQ's
When it comes to choosing a laser hair reduction treatment, many people find themselves surrounded with lots of queries. They get confused about the safety and efficacy of this method. Also they are not able to take a decision about which centre to chose and why? One should go for the latest, efficacious and safe laser devices which are best suited for Indian skin and are effective on both coarse and fine hair. You should take the treatment only from established centers having fully trained and qualified personnel and doctors. Still have doubts?? Then find the answers of your queries here